Doctorate of Optometry (OD)
Doctors of Optometry (ODs) are the primary health care professionals for the eye. Optometrists examine, diagnose, treat, and manage diseases, injuries, and disorders of the visual system, the eye, and associated structures as well as identify related systemic conditions affecting the eye. (source)
- Biology BS (Cell and Molecular) or BA
- Chemistry BS (Biochemistry 17-18 or Preprofessional/Paramedical prior to Fall 17)
- Exercise Science BS (General or Preprofessional)
- Psychology BS (Natural Science or Health Studies)
You can learn about specific degree requirements from the University Bulletin.
Most Optometry Schools require a letter of evaluation from a practicing optometrist. So, clinical exposure in the field is necessary to be a competitive applicant.
- University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB)
- University of Pikeville Kentucky College of Optometry
- Nova Southeastern University
- Indiana University
- Southern College of Optometry